Saturday, May 28, 2011

Week 2- May 24 and 26th

This week my job was to get to know the library and the museum a little better. I began exploring the stacks more and learning what is there and what kinds of questions the books answer and how I would go about finding the answers. One of the books I found really interesting was the Dictionary of Artists' Models. I never really though about art in that way before...there were actual models for these works of art. I looked up one of my favorite artist, Edvard Munch and found out that he used the same girl quite often and her name was Tulla (Mathilde) Larsen. Their relationship read like a soap opera. It was quite fascinating. Love triangles, exotic places, guns, the works.

I also came across a reference about Isaac Delgado. It was titled Isaac Delgado: His Life and Impact on New Orleans and the State of Louisiana by Elloyse Garthwaite and Tom Ireland. The characters I found the most interesting in the book weren't from the Delgado family, but the political characters at the time. One man, Henry J. Hearsey was a Bourbon Reactionary and was a man filled with hate...the list of things he could tolerate would probably be far shorter than the list of things he despised. He was a white supremacist who hated the north, African Americans, white reformers and public education. He was very interesting to me. Another character was Charles T. Howard. He was a vindictive man, who, after being denied membership to the Metairie Racing Club, vowed he would not rest until the club was destroyed. He later bought the club, turned it into a cemetery and was buried there. Now that, my friends, is commitment.

I then took a tour of the galleries with Shelia and got to see the amazing exhibition of Madeline Albright's pins. They were absolutely amazing and creative and colorful and full of meaning. My favorite is the one that had concrete from the Berlin wall. It was so crude and simple in its beauty and symbolism. I learned a little about each floor and will be walking through it more often to get to know the galleries. This will help me answer questions that might come up about the collection.

Later in the week I had to use an extra reference book to decipher another one. The Monogram Lexikon is in German, and I needed the dictionary to navigate the book and to understand the indices. I couldn't help but think that the signatures and stamps that are found in the Monogram Lexikon are art among themselves. How much though and effort got put into those signatures?

I then helped get periodicals together to be sent off to the bindery and then got to do some research on the project Shelia has me working on this semester. The amount of information out there about museums and their libraries is far between. I know why Shelia needs help getting some research done, it isn't easy because there isn't much out there, hence putting together this project.

Once again I got to take a walk at lunch time and this time I walked through the sculpture garden and got to spend time among the beautiful and sometimes creepy sculptures. Blue Dog by George Rodrigue is one of my favorites...


And this spider gave me the heebie jeebies. Even though it was kind of creepy, it's good in that it does invoke some sort of emotional response. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment