Thursday, July 21, 2011

Week 10: July 18, 19 and 21st

This week was a rather slow week in the library, but I managed to keep myself properly busy. Sheila and I are continuing to work on the project about museum libraries in the community, and Monday and Tuesday were filled with trying to come up with an appropriate survey. I never knew how complicated surveys could be. By Tuesday afternoon we had a fairly good one worked out and I proceeded to learn Microsoft Access in order to make the survey and build a database for the survey results. It was an interesting learning experience and I tried many different things and finally, with a little help from my friends, made quite a nice survey and I am as proud of it as anything. I felt very accomplished at the end of the day and feel confident that if I ever need to make a survey, I would be able to do it. It will go out on a test run next week probably and then the real work will begin not long after I am sure.
Next week is my last week, and although I will not miss the drive to get here, I am finding myself sad at leaving. This experience has been wonderful and I can honestly say that I have learned more in the last 10 weeks under Sheila than I have in the last 10 years that I have worked in a library. Internship is completely different than even working in a library. I have worked in the public sector for many years and in some places everyone has their place and everyone has their job. Aside from learning about reader's advisory and how to deal with a difficult patron, I never really had any practical experience working "behind the scenes" as it were. Working with Sheila has been an eye opening, wonderful experience and I was glad to get my feet wet in all of the things that happen in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment